Thursday, January 10, 2013

Best Songs of 2012


I've been slow on album postings because I've been thinking about songs a lot, which is something I don't do as often as I'd like to becaue I tend to consume the vast majority of my music in album format. Quite a few of these came out last year ("212," "Video Games") but since the albums came out this year and everyone else seems to be including "Thinkin Bout You" and "Call Me Maybe" (which also debuted in 2011) in their 2012 lists I say fuck it. So before I get on to my #1 album of the year (hint, it's not Chief Keef), give it up for these dudettes and dudes.


20. Icona Pop (ft. Charli XCX)-- "I Love It"



If we count Charli XCX here (as we should since she wrote the song), she is one of only two artists to appear in this list twice.


19. Angel Haze-- "Werkin Girls"




18. Todd Terje-- "Inspector Norse"



Yeah, I'd dance to this in a club. Apparently they do in the UK. We still win though because we have Skrillex.

17. Macklemore-- "Same Love"





















A great pro-gay hit that doesn't steal its hook from Madonna (ahem, Lady Gaga).

16. Heems-- "NYC Cops"





















As Das Racist split up, it became clear that Heems was the stronger rapper by far. An absolutely brutal overview of the unarmed black victims murdered by the NYPD, ages 9-57.


15. The Magnetic Fields-- "Andrew In Drag"

A wonderful trifle from the ever-brilliant Stephen Merritt.


14. Azealia Banks-- "1991"





















Like Charli XCX, second artist to appear twice on this list is also a few years younger than me. Fuck, I feel old.


13. Elle Varner-- "Sound Proof Room"


That voice, hot damn.



12. Charli XCX-- "You're the One"


The crush-song of the year, with groaning 80's synths and an excellent minor-major switch in the chorus.


11. Frank Ocean-- "Thinkin Bout You"


The clear stand-out on an already stellar album. Although "Sweet Life" and "Bad Religion" come awfully close.




10. Carly Rae Jepsen-- "Call Me Maybe"



Well, obviously.


9. Usher-- "Climax"



Usher is an excellent singer when we wants to be (which unfortunately is not too often), better than any of the new r&b artists to pop up in the last few years. As for Diplo, I'm beginning to really believe that everything he touches is gold.



8. Taylor Swift-- "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" 

I hope she means it, because this girl seriously lacks some judgment when it comes to boyfriends. That and music video directors.



7. Miguel-- "Adorn"

There's really not anything I dislike about this song.



6. Chairlift-- "I Belong In Your Arms"

I'm such a sucker for 80's pop, but I typically find modern indie imitations shallow and soulless. Here's an exception.


5. Nicki Minaj-- "Beez In The Trap"

Quintessential Nicki. Her best performance yet, and yes, that includes "Monster."



4. Eric Church-- "Springsteen"

Token country song. Maybe now that the cool kids think r&b is cool, they'll eventually come around to country also.



3. Lana Del Rey-- "Video Games" 


Such a sophisticated vocal style. Like Lady Gaga, her videos are usually cheesy and pompous, but her songs are pure streamlined pop glory.


2. Solange-- "Losing You"

Channeling a very different part of the 80's with a song that finally does justice to her voice.


1. Azealia Banks-- "212"


What I said earlier

No comments:

Post a Comment