Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Best of 2010

One problem with starting a music blog in 2012 is managing to keep up with new music (logically impossible, since today there is more than 24 hours of music recorded each day) and somehow still finding the time to record my thoughts on all the older music I've listened to. To alleviate this, I've decided to take a page out of the book of, er, every major music magazine, and introduce a retroactive year-end list feature. These lists are not complete, but nothing is on here that I haven't considered thoughtfully. I also won't post a list without listening to the "important" albums of that year, id est, the ones that appear on the year-end lists of other critics and media. The first reason for this is that I've always been, to misquote Minor Threat, more than a few paces out-of-step with new music anyway. Hey, I was born in 1989-- there's a lot to catch up to. The second reason is that, to misquote another band, I'm a listomaniac, and have been every since I started ranking my baseball cards in grade school. If I give my postdated year-end list and you see something missing, let me know. There's a good chance I listened to it and simply wasn't impressed, but there's also a chance it flew under my radar. Anyway, here's a selective but, I like to think, well-informed and thoroughly researched list of favorites.

2010
  1. Vampire Weekend: Contra
  2. Elizabeth Cook: Welder
  3. Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  4. No Age: Everything In Between
  5. Robyn: Body Talk
  6. Teddybears: Devil’s Music
  7. The Arcade Fire: The Suburbs
  8. The National: High Violet
  9. M.I.A.: Maya
  10. Flying Lotus: Cosmogramma
  11. Deerhunter: Halycon Digest
  12. Das Racist: Sit Down, Man
  13. Belle & Sebastian: Write About Love
  14. Four Tet: There Is Love in You
  15. Girl Talk: All Day
  16. Das Racist: Shut Up, Dude
  17. Nicki Minaj: Pink Friday
  18. Calle 13: Entre Los Que Quieran
  19. Lil Wayne: No Ceilings
  20. Superchunk: Majesty Shredding
  21. VV Brown: Traveling Like the Light
  22. Titus Andronicus: The Monitor
  23. Dessa: A Badly Broken Code 
  24. Surfer Blood: Astro Coast
  25. Best Coast: Crazy for You
  26. Homeboy Sandman: The Good Sun
  27. The Books: The Way Out
  28. Mountain Goats: The Life of the World to Come
  29. LCD Soundsystem: This Is Happening
  30. Eminem: Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment